Thursday, August 1, 2013

Is it a fruit? Is it a vegetable? My enemy, the avocado.

Today is officially day three.  I say officially because for two days before our official start, we had started with the green smoothies, but we were eating other (processed) foods too.  Both my husband and I are not feeling 100%, but if you read his post, it explains why we're both feeling this way.  Although, I do feel better today than I did at the end of day one.  I'm giving myself about a week or so. Considering how hard my body is going to have to work to get rid of the junk I've been putting in it, a week seems like a fair compromise.

Todays dilemma surrounds the fruit (it is a fruit, right? It has a seed.), avocado. This is a food that I have heard so many good things about.  Good fats, essential this and that, blah, blah, blah.  I have tried it so many different ways and have never managed to acquire a taste for it.  I frequent a forum where the ladies there are always talking about the delicious recipes they make using it but it never seems to work for me. I'm pretty basic when it comes to fruit and vegetables.  Yesterday's kale experience makes me hesitate all the more.  I have made it my mission to incorporate this little green foreign food into at least 3 smoothies a week.



But how?

I've set off on an internet hunt to find a flavour of fruit that will best compliment the taste of avocado.  From what I have read, the avocado in a green smoothie will give it a creamy texture, the kind you get when you put yogurt into a smoothie.  From what I have found, the most common combinations is avocado and blueberry or mango.  Luckily, I have both in my freezer.  I wonder which will be better?  I wonder what would happen if I added both?

I'll be sure to report back tomorrow with my results.

As for so far today, I really enjoyed my breakfast smoothie.  I used 2 cups of spinach, 1 cup of frozen green grapes, half a cucumber, 2 granny smith apples, and a banana.  The cucumber really gave it a clean, fresh taste.  I think this will be one I use again and again.

Here's what it looks like ready to drink.  That canister is enough for both Will and I to have two smoothies each throughout the morning before lunch. There's no denying that green smoothies are aptly named!


No comments:

Post a Comment