Monday, August 5, 2013

Is there such a thing as TOO much energy?

It's Monday.  That means that tomorrow will be the one week mark.  I'm 10% of the way there.  If I keep focused on those small things, I find it easier than thinking about the big picture.

I feel better.  The beginning of the week was rough and I wasn't sure if feeling that sick was worth the benefits of eating raw and greens for that long.  Everything I'd read said that you have to deal with a few days of flu-like symptoms, but I guess I didn't think I'd be one of them.  I feel like I'm over the hump and on the other side.

I have noticed a difference in my energy levels, probably since day 4.  I wake up in the morning and feel ready to get out of bed.  I am getting things done around the house instead of talking about what I need to get done.  I feel more alert.  I've been in a better mood.  All good things.  However, what I have noticed is that the energy and alertness is making it more difficult to fall asleep at night.  I cannot get my mind to stop racing.  It bounces around from one topic to another and no matter how many of the strategies I've tried to quiet my mind, they don't really seem to work.  I tossed and turned for hours last night.

Many people have been asking me about groceries and how I'm going to make that work.  We live in a remote, Northern community in Canada.  There are no roads in or out and the only way to get here is to fly.  We have several grocery stores in town, but we pay exorbitant amounts for fresh fruit and vegetables here.  It's gotten a little better in the last year or so, but not by much.  We are using a company that is based out of Winnipeg (Arctic Connections) to send us our groceries through the airline's cargo department.  I go to their website, pick the fruits and vegetables that I want, send them a list and they do the shopping for us.  They bring it to the airlines and we go pick it up when it arrives.  Before we started, we placed a $350+ order for vegetables and fruit (both fresh and frozen).  This week's order was less than $200.  Considering what we were spending on groceries before we started this challenge (junk food is $$$ here), I think we'll actually come out having saved money from eating this healthy.  No more $10 bottles of pop and $7 bags of chips or $14 tubs of ice cream.

I had to run to one of the stores today to pick up a couple things we need until our order comes in on the plane. I bought a bag of spinach, three romaine lettuce hearts, some celery, two bunches of kale, a bunch of bananas, and a piece of ginger root.  This small amount cost..................wait for it..........


a whopping $34.74!

Tomorrow I hope to update with my first week's weigh in results.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I know you will be successful on your detoxifying. Strong willed lady you are and you will succeed . Wish I was there to share your happiness and energy with you .
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! It's an interesting journey, that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. You two are awesome for doing this! I am inspired. I have tried 800 ways from Sunday to find a way to eat kale and like it, and have failed miserably. I stick to spinach too ;)

    HEC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found it tolerable if you just cut the leaves and don't use the hard stalk down the middle of the leaf. I only put in one leaf at a time, though. I'll never LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete